Penn Power

Struggling to Pay Your Electric Bill?  We Can Help.

There are many reasons you or someone you know may need help with home energy costs. We understand and can offer a variety of programs to help you budget your monthly payments, pay winter heating bills, catch up on past-due payments, or avoid service disconnection.

See what programs are available in your area and learn about what type of assistance could be available based on your location, household size and income.


  • Payment Assistance Programs
    Dollar Energy Fund Logo

    Pennsylvania Customer Assistance Program (PCAP)

    PCAP helps residential customers maintain electric service and eliminate their past-due balance. The goal of this program is an affordable bill.

    Help Maintain Electric Service

    Compass Logo

    Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

    LIHEAP is a federally funded grant program administered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania through its network of local county assistance offices. LIHEAP provides customers help with paying winter heating bills, and occasionally summer cooling bills. LIHEAP funds may be used to pay an electric bill even if electricity is not the main source of heat. There are household income requirements for this program.

    Help Paying Bills

    Dollar Energy Fund Logo

    Dollar Energy Fund

    The Dollar Energy Fund is an emergency hardship fund designed to help residential customers who have suffered a recent financial hardship and need temporary help in paying their electric bill. Income guidelines apply.

    Emergency Hardship Funds

    First Energy WARM Program Logo

    WARM Program - Low Income Usage Reduction Program (LIURP)

    The WARM Program can help low-income customers lower electric bills and keep their homes more comfortable in the winter and summer months. It is available to homeowners and renters with landlord approval.

    Energy Efficiency Improvements

    Penn Power Logo

    Customer Assistance & Referral Evaluation Services Program (CARES)

    CARES provides assistance on a short-term basis to payment-troubled residential customers who are experiencing a temporary hardship. Based upon the circumstances, company CARES representatives make referrals to social agencies and provide information on appropriate company and/or external programs.

    Short-Term Assistance

    United Way of Pennsylvania Logo

    211 Helpline

    This nationwide resource and information helpline will identify programs in your area that may assist you or someone you know with utility bills.

    Program Available Year-Round

  • Special Arrangements

    Extended Due Date

    If you are at least 60 years old or receive a Social Security or pension check, or if you receive disability assistance, we can extend your payment due date until after your check arrives.

    Contact: Penn Power - Email or call 800-720-3600

    Payment Arrangements

    If conditions make it difficult to pay your electric bill on time, we can arrange affordable installments to be paid with your monthly bill.  Payment arrangements help maintain your electric service while you make payments more suited to your financial situation.

    To Apply: 

    Third-Party Notification

    Select a third party (a friend, relative, clergy, or social service agency) to be notified, along with yourself, if your electric service is about to be disconnected. The third party is not obligated to pay overdue bills but can remind you of pending disconnection and help you make payment arrangements.

    Contact: Penn Power - Email or call 800-720-3600

    Military Deferred Payment Program

    This program is designed to assist customers who are having financial difficulties because their family members have been called to active military duty. Customers participating in the program may elect to defer paying either all or a part of their monthly electric bill. When the family member in the military service returns home, the account will be reviewed to determine payment arrangements for the balance owed.

    Customers who have switched to an alternative generation supplier may defer the charges paid to their supplier only if that supplier offers a deferred payment program. If your supplier does not offer a deferred payment program, the supplier charges must be paid each month.

    Contact: Penn Power - Email or call 800-720-3600

    Protection from Abuse Order (PFA)

    A PFA is an order from the court that protects you and your children from your abuser. It is a civil order that you can request on your own behalf against a family or household member who is abusing you. This order may enable you to make special payment arrangements.

    Learn more about Protection from Abuse Orders

    Contact: Penn Power at 800-720-3600 (You will be required to provide us a copy of the order.)
  • Medical Needs Assistance

    Critical Care Program

    The Critical Care Program identifies customers who use certain electrically operated life sustaining medical equipment in their home. The program helps customers - for whom a service interruption could be immediately life threatening or would make operation of necessary medical or life supporting equipment impossible or impractical - prepare for planned and unplanned power outages. Please call us if someone in your home uses this type of medical equipment.

    Contact: Penn Power - Email or call 800-720-3600

    Medical Certification

    Customers with severe health problems may have a licensed physician, nurse practitioner, or physician assistant certify in writing that they, or a member of their household, are seriously ill or have been diagnosed with a medical condition which requires the continuation of service to treat the medical condition.

    The medical certification will postpone the termination of electric service for 30 days. The certification is designed to provide the customer with additional time to pay their past-due balance. The current bill must be paid while the medical certificate is in effect. The customer is still responsible for the past-due amount and will be given the opportunity to pay the balance in monthly installments.

    If you or a member of your household have a qualifying medical condition, we have made it easier for your doctor to submit the medical certificates to us by automating the forms online. Please email us or call Customer Service at 800-720-3600 for details on the information your doctor will need to complete the medical form.

    For more information and to download the official medical certification form, please visit*.

  • Additional Information

*By clicking this link you are leaving the FirstEnergy website and entering a website maintained by a third party.  They are entirely responsible for the content of their website.