Potomac Edison Bill (MD)
Bill Terms & Definitions
- Generation Charge – Charge for the production of electricity.
- Transmission Charge – Charge for moving high voltage electricity from a generation facility to distribution lines.
- CoGeneration PURPA Project Termination Agreement Surcharge - Pursuant to the Public Service Commission of Maryland’s order, dated June 21, 2023, the termination of the Warrior Run PURPA contract was approved. This surcharge recovers costs associated with the Termination Agreement between Potomac Edison and AES WR Limited Partnership to terminate the parties’ former CoGeneration PURPA Project Agreement.
- Customer Distribution Charge – Charge for distribution costs that are due to the presence of a customer on the distribution system, such as meter reading, billing, service line maintenance and equipment.
- Distribution Charge – Charge to recover the balance of distribution costs not recovered in the Customer Distribution Charge and for the cost of using local wires, transformers, substations and other equipment needed to deliver electricity to a premise.
- Electric Distribution Investment Surcharge - Recovers costs associated with investments and enhancements to Potomac Edison’s Electric Distribution system approved by the Commission.
- Electric Universal Service Fee - Charge associated with the funding of a state program to assist low-income customers.
- Energy Cost Adjustment – Charge or credit for the difference between billed Transmission and Generation Charges against payments by Potomac Edison to PJM and wholesale electricity suppliers.
- Administrative Credit – Credit for amounts collected in excess of Potomac Edison’s incremental cost for providing Standard Offer Service generation.
- Cogeneration PURPA Surcharge – Charge associated with the purchase of power from the AES/Warrior Run power station.
- Franchise Tax - A state tax based on the amount of electricity delivered to customers.
- EmPower MD Surcharge – Charge for costs associated with Potomac Edison-sponsored programs which promote energy efficiency and conservation.
- MD Environmental Surcharge – Charge for costs associated with the funding of the state Power Plant Research Program.
J. Usage History – To help you better monitor your electricity usage, this bar graph details your usage history over the past 13 months. There is also detailed information such as your Average Daily and Monthly Use, Average Daily Temperature and the number of Days in the Billing Period.
N. Meter Reading Information – Use these dials or boxes to record and submit your meter reading online, or call 1-800-686-0011. Do not use this to mail in your reading.