Potomac Edison Bill (MD)
Bill Terms & Definitions
A. Billing Period – Time period for which your current charges were calculated.
C. Account Number, Amount Due and Due Date - This is your 12-digit Potomac Edison account number.
D. Messages – Important information about your account. You’ll also find your Standard Offer Service Pricing here.
E. Account Summary – Your previous balance, payments and current charges are displayed.
F. Usage Information – Your electricity usage during the billing period. This also lets you know if your usage was based on an actual or estimated meter reading.
G. Charges – Detailed information on Potomac Edison’s charges can be found here. If you have chosen an alternate supplier, your supplier charges will appear in Section H.
- Generation Charge – Charge for the production of electricity.
- Transmission Charge – Charge for moving high voltage electricity from a generation facility to distribution lines.
- Customer Distribution Charge – Charge for distribution costs that are due to the presence of a customer on the distribution system, such as meter reading, billing, service line maintenance and equipment.
- Distribution Charge – Charge to recover the balance of distribution costs not recovered in the Customer Distribution Charge and for the cost of using local wires, transformers, substations and other equipment needed to deliver electricity to a premise.
- Electric Universal Service Fee - Charge associated with the funding of a state program to assist low-income customers.
- Energy Cost Adjustment – Charge or credit for the difference between billed Transmission and Generation Charges against payments by Potomac Edison to PJM and wholesale electricity suppliers.
- Administrative Credit – Credit for amounts collected in excess of Potomac Edison’s incremental cost for providing Standard Offer Service generation.
- Cogeneration PURPA Surcharge – Charge associated with the purchase of power from the AES/Warrior Run power station.
- Franchise Tax - A state tax based on the amount of electricity delivered to customers.
- EmPower MD Surcharge – Charge for costs associated with Potomac Edison-sponsored programs which promote energy efficiency and conservation.
- MD Environmental Surcharge – Charge for costs associated with the funding of the state Power Plant Research Program.
H. Charges from your Alternate Supplier – If you choose an alternate supplier, these charges appear here.
I. Detailed Payment and Adjustment Information – Any payments applied or adjustments made since your last bill was issued will appear here.
J. Usage History – To help you better monitor your electricity usage, this bar graph details your usage history over the past 13 months. There is also detailed information such as your Average Daily and Monthly Use, Average Daily Temperature and the number of Days in the Billing Period.
K. Payment Stub – Detach and return with your payment. This section includes your Account Number, Amount Paid, Amount Due and the Due Date.
L. Explanation of Terms – This section defines some of the key terms that appear on your electric bill.
M. Important Information – Find key information here, such as phone numbers, website address, mailing address and other important information.
N. Meter Reading Information – Use these dials or boxes to record and submit your meter reading online, or call 1-800-686-0011. Do not use this to mail in your reading.