In light of the coronavirus health emergency we're committed to doing what's best for our customers and staff. We are able to safely collect your appliances from outside of your residence (garage, patio, porch or behind garage) at your request. This allows our staff to safely collect and recycle your unit without physical contact with you.
FirstEnergy’s Pennsylvania utilities will pick up your working fridge or freezer and responsibly recycle it. You’ll get $50 and save money on your electricity bill.
Got an older, working fridge or freezer hogging energy in your garage or basement? While it may provide additional storage, it’s not worth the additional cost on your electric bill. By recycling your old appliance, you can save over $100* per year in energy costs, plus we’ll give you an additional $50! We make it easy for you to save the environment… and your wallet.
Plus, recycle a working air conditioner or dehumidifier along with a qualifying refrigerator or freezer and you’ll get an additional $25 per unit.
- Must be an electric customer of FirstEnergy’s Pennsylvania utilities
- You must own the appliance(s)
- Refrigerators and freezers must be 10 – 30 cu. ft., plugged in, and operating (cooling) at the time of the scheduled pickup
- Limit of two refrigerators/freezers plus up to two air conditioners/dehumidifiers per calendar year***
- Your incentive check will be mailed to you within four weeks after pickup of appliance(s)
- Please note that this is NOT an appliance replacement program. Your old appliance will be removed and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner and will not be replaced with a new appliance.
The costs of energy efficiency programs are recovered through customer rates in accordance with Pennsylvania Act 129 of 2008. For a complete list of commercial, industrial, residential and low income energy efficiency programs, please visit www.energysavePA.com.
As of December 31, 2019, the program has been suspended in Penn Power.
*Savings estimated using the Refrigerator Retirement Savings Calculator provided by ENERGY STAR®. https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=refrig.calculator
**This is a link to a third-party site. The site is maintained by the third-party vendors administering these programs on behalf of Met-Ed, Penelec, Penn Power, and West Penn Power (FirstEnergy’s Pennsylvania utilities).
***Room air conditioners and dehumidifiers must be recycled in conjunction with a qualifying refrigerator or freezer.