Emergency responders are often the first to arrive at dangerous situations that require immediate action. We appreciate your valuable role, and urge you to exercise extreme caution when responding to any emergency involving electricity.
Please review this page and our e-SMART First Responder website for important information.
Did you know?
- Standard-issue protective gear does not protect from electric shock.
- Low voltage does not mean low hazard. More people are killed from 120/240 volts than any other voltage.
- Electricity is always seeking a path to the ground. A person whose body comes in contact with electrical lines can become the path to ground.
- Never assume a phone or coaxial cable line isn't energized. An energized power line nearby could be touching the line, energizing it.
Resources for fire, police, municipal employees and other emergency responders
The following resources have been provided to help you better understand the potential dangers posed by electrical equipment, and to help ensure your own safety while you protect the public:
- The e-SMART First Responder website offers information to help first responders safely and effectively manage incidents involving electricity.
- Emergency Responder Reference Guide
Covers topics such as electricity basics, emergency procedures and keeping safe around electricity, and includes information about FirstEnergy’s electrical system
-- Emergency response personnel may request printed copies of this brochure by contacting the external affairs manager for their region.
- Safety and the Emergency Responder
Emergency responders must be prepared for anything and everything. This slide presentation is designed to increase awareness of electrical hazards and show how to work safely when responding to emergencies involving electricity.
- A Facilitator's Guide for Emergency Responder Trainers
This Facilitator’s Guide contains information and guidance to deliver effective training sessions.
- FirstEnergy Service Restoration Process
This video explains the steps FirstEnergy takes to safely and efficiently restore power.
- Electricity - Recognizing and Avoiding the Hazards*
This video will help emergency responders understand and learn to safely manage the dangers posed by electrical equipment.
*This is a link to a third party website. FirstEnergy is not responsible for the content of this site.