Terms & Conditions
FirstEnergy Voice Assistance Terms and Conditions
This Agreement is between you (or your) and the particular electric utility operating company listed herein that provides electric service to you: Ohio Edison Company; The Toledo Edison Company; The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company; Metropolitan Edison Company; Pennsylvania Electric Company; Pennsylvania Power Company; West Penn Power Company; Jersey Central Power & Light Company; Monongahela Power Company; or The Potomac Edison Company [(each a "Company") and together, with its parent and affiliates, "FirstEnergy Corp." or “Us” or “We”] and governs your use of the Company Skill on Amazon’s Alexa service on any Alexa-enabled device (the “Skill”). The Agreement applies in addition to, and is not intended to replace, any other agreement that may apply in connection with your accounts for services you receive from Company ("Account(s)").
Your use of the Skill is conditioned on your acceptance of this Agreement. If you do not accept these Terms & Conditions, you may not use the Skill.
- Privacy and Security: The Skill allows you to use your Alexa-enabled device to communicate with the Company, by voice, regarding your Account(s). Your voice is only used to activate Alexa’s features and is not used to authenticate the account. To use the Skill, you will have to speak commands and questions aloud to Amazon’s Alexa service (“Alexa”), and you will receive responses aloud. Any communication to the Company via Alexa will be treated by Us as a communication authorized by you, and any communication from the Company via Alexa in response to a request received from your Alexa-enabled device will be treated by Us as a communication to you. In other words, you are responsible for all of the interactions with the Company via the Skill. For example, it is possible that someone other than you could interact with Us via the Skill, or that someone could overhear you interacting with Us via the Skill and learn information about your Account(s). It is also possible that Alexa (and the equipment Alexa is installed on) and/or Amazon will record your interactions with the Skill or with Alexa. Consult your agreements with Amazon to learn more about how Amazon and your Alexa-enabled device treat those interactions.
- Release of Your Information to Amazon: By installing the Skill, you are authorizing the Company to perform the actions and/or share with Amazon the information you communicate to Us (such as voice commands), or which We may request from you. The interactions you have with the Skill take place through Amazon. For example, if you ask Alexa for any information pertaining to your Account, the Company transmits the relevant information through Amazon. Therefore, you hereby authorize Us to share that information with Amazon in response to your interactions with the Skill.
- ACH Debit Authorization: One of the things you may be able to do on the Skill is pay your Account balance. You will be given choices about how much to pay (e.g., total amount due or partial payment) and what bank account to use to make your payment. By using the Skill on your Alexa-enabled device, you authorize the Company to initiate payments in amounts up to your Account balance. The payment(s) will be initiated on the date(s) you direct Alexa to do so (“Payment Date”), but when you pay using ACH Debit, the timing of the withdrawal from your pay-from account (i.e., the checking or savings account that you use to pay down the bill) will be based on the pay-from account’s processing schedule. In other words, if you pay your Company bill from your Bank X checking account, We will start the process when you ask Us to, but We cannot promise how long it will take overall because it depends on the timing of Bank X debiting your account and sending it to Us.
- Third-Party Security Settings: Once you set up your Alexa device with the Skill, you are authorizing the Company to provide information to the device based on the device’s security settings. For example, the settings on your device may allow the device to retrieve information about your Account(s) based on only verbal requests from anyone who uses your device, or to save information about your Account(s) for easier access. By enabling the Skill on your Alexa-enabled device, you are responsible for how the Skill is used (including any communication to or from the Company from your device).
- Accuracy: The Company did not design or manufacture Alexa or your Alexa-enabled device. The device also runs other software (e.g., Alexa and other third-party apps) that We did not write or design and do not have control over. It is possible that Alexa will not hear you correctly, will incorrectly translate what you said, or even say something to you different than the information We provided to Alexa. By accepting this Agreement, you understand and agree that the Company is not responsible for inaccuracies in your interactions with Us via the Skill. If you have any issues or doubts about the accuracy of your interactions with Us via the Skill, you can still get your Account details by logging on to your Account(s) on our website at [www.firstenergycorp.com].
- Bugs: As with any application, it is possible that there will be bugs. In addition to the possibility of Alexa mishearing you or misquoting Us, there is also a possibility that something might not work correctly, or might not work at all. By using the Skill, you are accepting that risk. Again, you do not need the Skill to access your Account(s). All of the information available from the Company via the Skill is also available on our website (see “Accuracy” section, above). Do not rely on the Skill as your sole means of accessing your Account(s).
- Electronic Records and Signatures: By accepting these terms, you consent to the general use of electronic records and signatures in our relationship with you.
- Hardware and Other Requirements: To access the Company via the Skill, you must: (1) have an active residential Account that is in good standing; (2) be enrolled in the Company’s My Account; (3) be 18 years of age or older and a legal resident of one of the 50 United States or the District of Columbia; and (4) have an Alexa-enabled device, an internet connection, and an Amazon account. You cannot use the Skill otherwise.
- Contacting You: The Company may seek your constructive feedback on the Skill, including problems you encounter, aspects that work well, and suggestions for improving it. You agree that We may email you from time to time about your experience with the Skill.
- Changes or Amendments: The Company may change, suspend, or discontinue the Skill, or any part of it, at any time without notice. We may amend any of this Agreement's terms at our sole discretion by posting the revised terms on our website at Terms and Conditions FirstEnergy Service Company Skill on Amazon’s Alexa Service. Your continued use of the Skill after the effective date of the revised Agreement constitutes acceptance of the terms.
- Termination: Your rights under this Agreement will automatically terminate without notice if you fail to comply with any of its terms. In case of such termination, We may immediately revoke your access to the Skill.
- Tech Support: The Company may or may not provide technical and other support for the Skill. You agree to abide by any support rules and policies. If such support is provided, it will be provided in addition to any normal support for your Account(s) and will be available exclusively through the pilot while you are a participant.
- Disclaimer of Warranty: YOU ASSUME ALL RISK FOR YOUR USE OF THE SKILL, THAT IT IS PROVIDED “AS IS”, AND THAT THE COMPANY AND ITS PARENT AND AFFILIATES MAKE NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. THE COMPANY AND ITS PARENT AND AFFILIATES EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE COMPANY OR ITS PARENT OR AFFILIATES, OR THROUGH OR FROM THE SKILL, WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.
- Governing Law; Jurisdiction; Venue: This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of the Company is located without regard to any portion of its choice of law principles that might provide for application of a different jurisdiction's law; provided, however, that to the maximum extent permitted under applicable laws, this Agreement will not be subject to the Uniform Computer Information Transactions Act as currently enacted or as may be codified or amended from time to time by any jurisdiction. You irrevocably and unconditionally submit to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal courts where the Company is located, or if such federal courts do not have subject matter jurisdiction, to the state courts where the Company is located.
- Trademark Information: FirstEnergy Corp. trademarks and graphics used in connection with the Skill are the property of FirstEnergy Corp. All other trademarks and graphics used are the property of their respective owners.
- By checking the box titled “I acknowledge that I have read and accepted the FirstEnergy Voice Assistant Terms and Conditions, on the registration page” you authorize your electric distribution utility to disclose or release your name, address, telephone number, account number, energy usage data, electric power payment history, billing information, schedule data, and any other individual proprietary information on your account to Amazon or any other compatible voice recognition assistant platform. you understand and agree that doing so constitutes your electronic signature and shall operate as if signed by you in writing. You further understand that your consent hereunder shall be used solely to enable your electric distribution company to communicate with your voice recognition assistant.