Appliance Turn-In Program
EmPOWER Maryland programs are funded by a charge on your energy bill. EmPOWER programs can help you reduce your energy consumption and save you money. To learn more about EmPOWER and how you can participate, go to www.energysaveMD.com.
Potomac Edison will pick up your working fridge or freezer and responsibly recycle it. You’ll get $50 and save money on your electricity bill.
Got an older, working fridge or freezer hogging energy in your garage or basement? While it may provide additional storage, it’s not worth the additional cost on your electric bill. By recycling your old appliance, you can save over $100* per year in energy costs, plus we’ll give you an additional $50! We make it easy for you to save the environment… and your wallet.
Plus, recycle a working air conditioner or dehumidifier along with a qualifying refrigerator or freezer and you’ll get an additional $25 per unit.
- Must be an electric customer of Potomac Edison
- You must own the appliance(s)
- Refrigerators and freezers must be 10 – 30 cu. ft., plugged in, and operating (cooling) at the time of the scheduled pickup
- Limit of two refrigerators/freezers plus up to two air conditioners/dehumidifiers per calendar year**
- Your incentive check will be mailed to you within four weeks after pickup of appliance(s)
- Please note that this is NOT an appliance replacement program. Your old appliance will be removed and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner and will not be replaced with a new appliance.
Click here*** to sign up or call 1-888-277-0528
*Savings estimated using the Refrigerator Retirement Savings Calculator provided by ENERGY STAR®. https://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=refrig.calculator
**Room air conditioners and dehumidifiers must be recycled in conjunction with a qualifying refrigerator or freezer.
***This is a link to a third-party site. The site is maintained by the third-party vendors administering these programs on behalf of The Potomac Edison Company (FirstEnergy’s Maryland utility).