Frequently Asked Questions
Text and Email Alerts
- What are alerts?
- How do I register to receive alerts?
- How do I stop alerts?
- How are alerts delivered?
- What is text messaging?
- How do I register for text messaging?
- What are the keywords?
- What is a short code?
Mobile Website and Customer App
- How do I get to your mobile website?
- How do I find your customer app?
- What can I do on your mobile website and app?
- How do I find a list of your social media accounts?
- Can I report a power outage or get information on my power outage via social media?
- Is there a fee for text alerts or text messaging?
- Who do I call with questions?
- How do I reach a live representative via text messaging?
Text and Email Alerts
The alert service allows customers to sign up for automated email or text message notifications on topics including:
- Restoration updates during extended power outages
- Notifications of scheduled power outages
- Severe weather alerts in advance of storms
- Billing reminders, including alerts when a new bill is available, a payment is due, a payment has been posted, or no payment has been received
- Reminder of scheduled meter reading date
You must have an online account to sign up for alerts. Visit our alert preferences page to manage the communications you wish to receive. Billing-related alerts will be sent monthly, while and outage and storm alerts are event-based.
To receive text alerts on your phone, you must have a text messaging plan from your service provider. Message and data rates may apply. Please contact your wireless provider if you have questions regarding your text messaging service, including information about any charges or fees you may incur.
You can sign up for email or text message alerts on our full website, our mobile site, or our customer app.
If you have an online account, log into update alert preferences to add contact information and select the alerts you wish to receive for each contact. You must select the alerts that you wish to receive.
You can also sign up for text message alerts by texting REG to 544487 (LIGHTS). You will receive a text message back asking for your account number, and then approval of the terms and conditions. Follow the prompts to reply. Upon confirmation, you will automatically be registered for alerts related to power outages. Additionally, you will be able to use the text messaging service to obtain account information.
Please note: You must accept the terms and conditions during the registration process and confirm your phone number or email address before your alerts will be activated. Message and data rates may apply. One message per user request.
To stop receiving alerts, you may either reply STOP to a text message you receive, or STOP ALL to unsubscribe to all text alerts. You may also update your alert preferences online to change email or text alert subscriptions.
The alert messages you received are automated based on your selected preferences. Please do not send questions or issues to the short code 544487 (LIGHTS) or to your DO NOT REPLY emails that are specifically for alert messages. For more complex inquiries, please contact us via phone or through the website.
Text messaging is a customer-initiated communication tool that uses a text message service on a mobile device together with simple keywords.
You can use text messaging to report an outage or obtain information such as outage status and account information by texting the simple keywords to 544487 (LIGHTS). You will automatically receive the requested information on your mobile phone. You will first need to register your account by texting REG to 544487 (you will need your account number), or you can register on the alert preferences page of our website.
Send a Text from your Mobile Phone: Text REG to our short code 544487 (LIGHTS) and follow the prompts by replying with answers to the questions. Upon confirmation, you are automatically registered for outage alerts. Additionally, you will be able to use the simple keywords to obtain account information.
Please note: You will need to text Y to 544487 (LIGHTS) to accept the terms and conditions during the registration process before your alerts will be activated. Message and data rates may apply. One message per user request.
A keyword is a term used to communicate a request via a mobile phone. Below are the current keywords that can be sent to 544487 (LIGHTS).
- REG - register for text messages
- BAL - obtain your account balance
- OUT - report a power outage
- STAT - obtain status on a report outage
- HELP - get a list of keywords and link to FAQs
- PAUSE - temporarily stop receiving alerts
- RESUME - reactive alert
- STOP - stop current alert you received
- STOP ALL - stop all alerts
- NICK - create a nickname for your account, helpful to retrieve info for multiple accounts (max 12 characters, no spaces or special characters)
A short code is a 6-digit number to which text messages can be sent from a mobile phone. FirstEnergy's short code is 544487 (LIGHTS).
Mobile Website and Customer App
You can visit our mobile website by using a smartphone to visit www.firstenergycorp.com.
Our new customer app and mobile website provide on-the-go access to important information and services related to your electric account. Features include:
- A simple power outage reporting process, and easy access to our mobile-optimized 24/7 Power Center outage maps
- Secure and convenient account access, where you can view and pay your bill, review electric usage or payment history, and enroll in electronic billing
(enrollment in electronic billing is required to view your entire bill statement)
- A click-to-call feature to reach our contact centers.
- On the mobile website, you will also recieve your personal outage status when you log in to your account, including estimated restoration time, crew status and outage cause, as avaialble.
A full list of our social media accounts is available here.
Your user name for social media accounts is not tied in to your electric account, so we cannot accept outage reporting through conversations on our social media channels at this time. However, you may use the Report an Outage tab on our JCP&L and Met-Ed Facebook pages to report your outage using the phone number associated with your account. You may also report an outage by calling 888-LIGHTSS (888-544-4877), by filling out our online form or using our app, or by texting OUT to 544487 from a registered mobile device.
We do not charge a fee to receive our alerts or for texting messaging. However, your carrier may charge you to send and receive text messages. Contact your carrier for more details. Message and data rates may apply.
Please call our Contact Center with any questions.
Report an outage by calling 1-888-LIGHTSS (888-544-4877) or report an outage online.