The FirstEnergy Foundation's contributions to local nonprofit organizations help strengthen the social and economic fabric of our communities. Funded solely by FirstEnergy, the Foundation extends the corporate philosophy of providing community support.
Backed by our vision to invest in transformative organizations that enhance the vitality, sustainability and diversity of the communities we serve, we support non-profit, tax-exempt organizations within the FirstEnergy operating companies' service areas, including Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company and Toledo Edison in Ohio; Met-Ed, Penelec, Penn Power and West Penn Power in Pennsylvania; Jersey Central Power & Light in New Jersey; Mon Power and Potomac Edison in West Virginia and Maryland; and where we conduct business.
The FirstEnergy Foundation priorities:
- Improving the quality of life in our communities and supporting key safety initiatives
- Empowering our communities’ workforce development and educational initiatives
- Promoting local and regional economic development
- Supporting employee leadership and volunteer interests that align with our business interests
The FirstEnergy Foundation does not direct grants to individuals, or to political or legislative activities and generally does not consider funding for:
- Organizations that receive sizable public tax funding
- Government and public administration institutions
- Fraternal, religious, labor, athletic or social organizations - unless the contribution is earmarked for an eligible program open to all beneficiaries, including those not affiliated with the host organization
- International, foreign affairs and national security organizations
- Equipment or capital purchases
- Loans or second-party giving, such as endowments, debt retirement or foundations
- Public or private secondary schools (Pre-K - 12)
- Organizations that are a public charity defined as a 509(a)(3)
- Salaries, stipends or scholarships
- Transportation costs
- Animal protection, welfare, veterinary services
- Correctional facilities, addictive disorder agencies
How to Apply
The FirstEnergy Foundation does not accept unsolicited grant applications. Please reach out to the Community Involvement Department with your grant inquiries.
To apply for support, please visit FirstEnergy Foundation Grant Application (benevity.org). As part of the online application, you will be required to upload the following documents:
- List of Board of Trustees
- Itemized program budget for current year or proposed budget
Upon completion of your online application, you will receive an automated email confirmation as well as periodic status updates. If technical assistance is needed while completing the application, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your interest in the FirstEnergy Foundation.