The FirstEnergy Foundation's contributions to local nonprofit organizations help strengthen the social and economic fabric of our communities. Funded solely by FirstEnergy, the Foundation extends the corporate philosophy of providing community support.
We support non-profit, tax-exempt organizations within the FirstEnergy operating companies' service areas, including Ohio Edison, The Illuminating Company and Toledo Edison in Ohio; Met-Ed, Penelec, Penn Power and West Penn Power in Pennsylvania; Jersey Central Power & Light in New Jersey; Mon Power and Potomac Edison in West Virginia and Maryland; and where we conduct business.
The FirstEnergy Foundation traditionally provides funding to:
- Help improve the vitality of our communities and support key safety initiatives
- Promote local and regional economic development and revitalization efforts
- Support FirstEnergy employee community leadership and volunteer interests
- Advance an educated workforce by supporting professional development and literacy, and science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) education initiatives
The FirstEnergy Foundation generally does not consider funding for:
- Direct grants to individuals, or to political or legislative activities
- Organizations that receive sizable public tax funding
- Fraternal, religious, labor, athletic, social or veterans organizations - unless the contribution is earmarked for an eligible program or campaign open to all beneficiaries, including those not affiliated with the host organization
- National or international organizations
- Organizations already supported by federated campaigns, such as United Way
- Equipment purchases
- Loans or second-party giving, such as endowments, debt retirement or foundations
- Public or private secondary schools (Pre-K - 12)
- Organizations that are a public charity defined as a 509(a)(3)
How to Apply
The FirstEnergy Foundation does not accept unsolicited grant applications. Applicants are encouraged to discuss grant inquiries with the local management of FirstEnergy companies and the staff of FirstEnergy's Community Involvement Department.
The FirstEnergy Foundation Grant Application can be downloaded and completed electronically. Once you have completed the application form, please print and attach the following documentation:
- Photocopy of IRS 501(c)(3) letter (including description of 509(a) status if applicable)
- List of Board of Trustees
- Itemized program budget for current year or proposed budget. Applications without this information will not be considered.
Mail application and additional documentation to:
Dee Lowery, President
76 S. Main Street
Akron, OH 44308-1890
For more information about FirstEnergy's charitable giving, contact our Community Involvement Department.