Tree Trimming Program Underway in Ohio Edison Service Area for 2017
AKRON, Ohio, April 14, 2017 -- FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) is conducting tree trimming and other vegetation management work in communities across Ohio Edison's 34-county service area in Ohio to maintain proper clearances around electrical equipment and help protect against tree-related outages.
More than $29 million will be spent this year to trim trees along nearly 6,000 miles of distribution and transmission lines in the Ohio Edison service area.
"Trees are a leading cause of service disruptions, so our annual tree trimming efforts are key to enhancing reliable service for our customers," said Randall A. Frame, regional president, Ohio Edison. "This work pays dividends year-round in fewer service disruptions, particularly during severe storms that can do tremendous damage to trees, which then have the potential to damage our equipment."
Tree trimming will be conducted in the following counties and communities throughout the year:
- Ashland – Perryville
- Ashtabula – Andover
- Clark – Enon, Medway, South Charleston, Springfield, Springfield Township
- Columbiana – Center Township, Columbiana, Elkrun Township, Hanoverton Township, Know Township, Lisbon, Salem, Unity Township, West Township
- Crawford – Bucyrus, Crestline, Galion,
- Delaware – Ashley, Delaware, Shawnee Hills,
- Erie – Berlin Heights, Huron, Milan, Sandusky,
- Franklin – Dublin
- Huron – Monroeville, Norwalk, Wakeman
- Licking – Hartford
- Lorain – Amherst, Columbia Station, Elyria, Kipton, Lagrange, Lorain, Sheffield Lake, North Ridgeville
- Madison – London, Mount Stirling, Plain City
- Mahoning – Beloit, Boardman, Canfield, Goshen Township, Greenford Township, New Middleton, New Springfield Township, North Lima, Petersburg Township, Sebring, Youngstown
- Medina – Brunswick, Creston, Medina, Rittman, Valley City
- Montgomery – Butler Township
- Morrow – Cardington,
- Ottawa – Lakeside/Marblehead, Middle Bass Island, North Bass Island, South Bass Island
- Portage – Kent, Ravenna, Ravenna Township,
- Richland – Bellville, Lexington, Lucas, Mansfield,
- Summit – Akron, Barberton, Bath Township, Clinton, Copley, Coventry Township, Fairlawn, Green, Macedonia, Mogadore, Northfield, Northfield Center, Norton, Sagamore Hills,
- Stark – Alliance, Canal Fulton, Massillon, Minerva, North Canton, Perry Township, Uniontown
- Trumbull – Champion, Churchill, Hubbard, Kinsman, Leavittsburg, Newton Falls, Warren
- Wayne – Wooster
The vegetation management work is conducted by certified forestry experts under the company's direction, including: Asplundh Tree Expert Company; Davey Tree Expert Company; Nelson Tree Service Inc.; PennLine Service, Townsend Tree Service; and Wright Tree Service.
As part of its notification process, Ohio Edison works with municipalities to inform them of tree trimming schedules. In addition, customers living in areas along company rights-of-way also are notified prior to vegetation management work being done.
The tree trimming is done on a four-year cycle. Vegetation is inspected and trees are pruned in a manner that helps preserve the health of the tree, while also maintaining safety near electric facilities. Trees that present a danger or are diseased may be removed.
FirstEnergy is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. The company's transmission subsidiaries operate more than 24,000 miles of transmission lines that connect the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic regions. Visit FirstEnergy online at www.firstenergycorp.com and follow on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
Editor's Note: Photos of workers using bucket trucks to trim trees near FirstEnergy power lines are available for download on Flickr.
CONTACT: News Media Contact: Mark Durbin, (330) 761-4365