JCP&L Plans to Trim Trees along 3,400 Miles of Power Lines in 2016 to Help Enhance ReliabilityWork Scheduled in 70 Municipalities During April
MORRISTOWN, N.J., April 13, 2016 -- Jersey Central Power & Light (JCP&L) is continuing its 2016 tree trimming program to help maintain proper clearances around electrical equipment and help prevent tree-related damage. The work is part of JCP&L's approximately $28 million tree trimming program scheduled for this year along some 3,400 miles of JCP&L lines across its 13-county service area in northern and central New Jersey.
"Tree trimming played an important role in the greatly enhanced service reliability our customers experienced over the past two years," said Anthony Hurley, JCP&L vice president of Operations. "In 2015, we saw an 11 percent decrease in tree-related outages compared to the previous year. It's important that we continue implementing tree trimming practices that help reduce the frequency and duration of power outages."
JCP&L's tree trimming program is conducted by certified forestry contractors under the company's direction.
As part of the notification process, JCP&L works with municipalities to inform them of vegetation management schedules. In addition, customers living in areas along company rights-of-way are notified prior to work being performed. To further decrease tree-related outages, JCP&L's foresters also are working to educate residents who live near company equipment about the importance of properly maintaining the trees on their own property.
During April, forestry contractors are doing tree work in 70 municipalities in the following counties:
- Burlington – Chesterfield Township, North Hanover Township, Pemberton Township and Wrightstown Borough
- Hunterdon – Bethlehem Township, Clinton Township, Franklin Township, Holland Township, Lebanon Township, Raritan Township, Readington Township and Tewksbury Township
- Mercer – Hopewell Township, Robbinsville Township and West Windsor Township
- Middlesex – Cranbury Township, Borough of Jamesburg, Monroe Township, Old Bridge Township, Sayreville Borough and Borough of Spotswood
- Monmouth – Aberdeen Township, Borough of Allenhurst, City of Asbury Park, Borough of Atlantic Highlands, Borough of Bradley Beach, Borough of Englishtown, Freehold Township, Township of Hazlet, Holmdel Township, Howell Township, Borough of Interlaken, Manalapan Township, Borough of Manasquan, Marlboro Township, Borough of Matawan, Middletown Township, Neptune Township, Ocean Township, Borough of Red Bank, Borough of Sea Girt, Tinton Falls Township and Wall Township
- Morris – Borough of Chatham, Chatham Township, Borough of Chester, Chester Township, Denville Township, Hanover Township, Harding Township, Mine Hill Township, Borough of Mount Arlington, Borough of Morris Plains, Town of Morristown, Borough of Mountain Lakes, Parsippany Troy-Hills Township, Randolph Township, Roxbury Township and Washington Township
- Ocean – Borough of Bay Head, Borough of Beachwood, Berkeley Township, Brick Township, Borough of Island Heights, Jackson Township, Lacey Township, Lakehurst Township, Lakewood Township, Manchester Township, Borough of Point Pleasant, Plumsted Township, Township of Toms River, and Borough of South Toms River.
- Passaic – Borough of Ringwood and Borough of Wanaque
- Somerset – Bernards Township, Borough of Bernardsville and Borough of Far Hills
- Sussex – Andover Township, Frankford Township, Green Township, Montague Township, Sandyston Township and Stillwater Township
- Union – Borough of New Providence
- Warren – Allamuchy Township, Blairstown Township, Hackettstown, Hope Township, Independence Township and Washington Township
JCP&L's tree program includes inspecting vegetation near the lines to ensure trees are pruned in a manner that helps preserve the health of the tree, while also maintaining safety near electric facilities. Trees that present a danger or are diseased may also be removed.
JCP&L, a FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) subsidiary, serves 1.1 million New Jersey customers in the counties of Burlington, Essex, Hunterdon, Mercer, Middlesex, Monmouth, Morris, Ocean, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, Union and Warren. Follow JCP&L on Twitter @JCP_L, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/JCPandL or online at www.jcp-l.com.
FirstEnergy is a diversified energy company dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp or online at www.firstenergycorp.com.
CONTACT: Ron Morano, (973) 401-8097