FirstEnergy Foundation Surprises 12 Non-Profit Agencies in Potomac Edison's Service Area with $1,000 Gifts of the Season Donations
AKRON, Ohio, Dec. 18, 2017 -- The FirstEnergy Foundation has presented surprise Gifts of the Season of $1,000 each to 12 non-profit agencies working to make lives better in Potomac Edison's service area.
"We're pleased to provide this surprise support to so many agencies throughout Maryland, particularly during the holidays, when the services they provide to the least fortunate are often most vital," said Dee Lowery, president of the FirstEnergy Foundation. "The winners were chosen secretly by FirstEnergy employees, who identified organizations in their areas that do extraordinary work to make our communities better. Our goal was to focus on programs that enhance children's services, or provide additional support for organizations facing a critical need during the holiday season."
- Boys and Girls Club of the Eastern Panhandle:
- Berkeley County
- Jefferson County
- Morgan County
- Three gifts supporting programs to inspire and enable young people to reach their full potential as productive, responsible, caring citizens.
- Children in Need, Inc., Hagerstown – Provides necessities for learning to more than 2,500 children in Washington County.
- Summer Lunch Box, Frostburg – Serves breakfasts and lunches to at-risk youth throughout the area.
- Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry, Hagerstown – Serves the hungry with meat donated from hunters and farmers.
- Frederick Symphony Orchestra, Frederick – Enriches the cultural climate of Frederick and its surrounding communities through professional musician performances and by providing opportunities for local musicians to perform and further develop their talents.
- Garrett Lakes Art Festival, McHenry – Cultivates a vibrant cultural community where the arts thrive and programs are accessible to persons with disabilities.
- Garrett Mentors, Oakland – Assists elementary and middle school students with one-on-one mentors and mentor training.
- Habitat for Humanity, Hagerstown – Offers neighborhood revitalization and affordable housing.
- Holding Hands for Haley Foundation, Cumberland – Works to provide hope for the families of children fighting cancer.
- It's in the Bag!, Oakland – Provides food for at-risk children in Garrett County.
These gifts are part of the FirstEnergy Foundation's "Gifts of the Season" campaign, which includes a total of 132 $1,000 gifts given to 132 non-profits across the company's six-state service area and in communities where the company does business.
The FirstEnergy Foundation is funded solely by FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) and provides support to non-profit, tax-exempt health and human services agencies; educational organizations; cultural and arts programs and institutions; and civic groups in areas served by FirstEnergy's 10 electric operating companies and in areas where the company conducts business.
FirstEnergy is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. Follow FirstEnergy online at www.firstenergycorp.com. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
CONTACT: News Media Contact: Chris Eck, (330) 384-7939