(Note: If you are a wholesale customer wishing to interconnect to the grid, please visit our Wholesale Interconnection page.)
Prior to completing the application process, a customer interested in interconnecting small generation with the FirstEnergy distribution system must first determine the size and type of equipment which best suits the customer's requirements in accordance with the Company's Tariff. A copy of the Company's Interconnection Tariff rate schedule is available on the Company's Ohio tariffs page.
The interconnection process consists of 3 main levels that govern requirements for interconnection. These levels are based on the capacity of your generator. A Level 1 generation facility must have a nameplate capacity of twenty-five kilowatts or less. For Level 2, the generator capacity limit is set forth in the table below. For Level 3, the generator capacity limit is 20,000 kW.
Expedited Review Regardless of Location
Expedited Review on a 600 amp line and within 2.5 feeder miles from substation
≤ 500 kW
< 2 MW
> 5kV to ≤ 15 kV
< 3 MW
> 15 kV to ≤ 30 kV
< 4 MW
> 30 kV to ≤ 69 kV
< 5 MW
For more details, see "Interconnection Services," Chapter 4901:1-22 et seq., of the Ohio Administrative Code at http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4901%3A1-22.* This link is also available through the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio's website at www.PUCO.ohio.gov.*
For more information, view the list of FAQS.
1. Customer submits application and supporting documents
A. Completed application/agreement as appropriate
- Level 1 – FirstEnergy Short Form Application (doc)
(≤ 25 kW, Inverter based, certified) OR
- Level 2 – Standard Application Form (doc)
(see chart above for kW, Inverter based, certified) OR
- Level 3 – Standard Application Form (doc)
(≤ 20,000kW, fails to qualify for levels 1 or 2)
B. Site plan (Site Plan Example)
D. Application fee
- Level 1 – $50
- Level 2 - $50 plus $1/kW of the system’s nameplate capacity
- Level 3 - $100 plus $2/kW of the system’s nameplate capacity
E. Net Energy Metering
If you are interested in applying for service under the Company's Net Energy Metering Rider, you must complete and submit the Net Energy Metering Rider Application (doc). See "Net Metering" Chapter 4901:1-10-28 et seq. of the Ohio Administrative Code at http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4901%3A1-10-28.* This link is also available through the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio's website at www.PUCO.ohio.gov.* A copy of the Net Energy Metering Rider rate schedule is available on the Company's Ohio tariffs page.
2. Company review
After review by the Company, you will be notified if the application is approved or if there is any incorrect or missing information in the application. You must correct or provide the missing information before the Company can process the application. Once the application is complete, the company will process the application under the schedule provided for by the rules approved by the Public Utility Commission of Ohio. Visit http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4901:1-22-04v1* for General Provisions and http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4901:1-22-06v1* for Simplified Procedures.
Following approval of the application, the Customer installs the facility in accordance with the Application, PUCO rules and the Company's Requirements for Interconnection of Customer-Owned Generation to the FirstEnergy Distribution System.
4. Following installation of your generation equipment, you must submit final completed documents
- Interconnection agreement
- Evidence of Electrical Inspection by authorized inspection agency
5. Final Steps by Company
- Review the as-built installation and final documentation for compliance.
- Determine the need for a witness test as provided for in the regulations and notify customer.
- Finalize documentation and authorize system operation.
- Notify customer of the status of customer's application.
- If you have applied for service under the Company's Net Energy Metering Rider, the Company will proceed to process the application.
Additional Technical Requirements and References
- Signage Requirements
- Commissioning Test Requirements
- Major Ohio Application Requirements for Distributed Generation Interconnection*
- Fax: 330-245-5419 (Please use highest resolution setting on fax machine)
- Applications with large attachments that cannot be emailed and any required application fees should be sent to:
Attn: OE Interconnection
1910 W. Market Street
Akron, OH 44313
- Contact: Brian Donahue 330-436-4178
Status questions may be submitted through any of these channels
- Technical and policy questions regarding interconnection issues should be submitted via email.
- Direct general meter and billing questions to Customer Service at 1-800-633-4766
If you are a wholesale customer wishing to interconnect to the grid, or you need more information, please visit our main interconnection page.
*By clicking this link you are leaving the FirstEnergy website and entering a website maintained by third party. The third party is entirely responsible for the content of their website.