We’re driven by our ongoing commitment to protect the environment, promote public health and safety, and create lasting value in the communities where we live and work.
We invite you to learn more about FirstEnergy's commitment to a cleaner energy future, which is reflected in the the way we operate our facilities and our support of conservation programs. Even more information about our environmental, social and governance initiatives can be found in our Corporate Responsiblity website.
Waste Minimization Program
FirstEnergy has a long-term commitment to waste minimization, source reduction and environmentally sound recycling. The reduction or elimination of waste generated at its source is the priority. An effective waste minimization program helps protect the environment, and has a positive economic value for FirstEnergy.
FirstEnergy's effective waste-minimization program protects the environment, while also creating positive economic value for our company. Examples include:
- Computer system enhancements to more effectively manage inventories. Purchasing only the amount of material needed reduces cost and eliminates waste.
- Equipment evaluation and repair programs at our three repair shops dramatically reduce new equipment purchases.
- When reuse is not practical, we recycle whenever possible. This includes metals including copper, aluminum and steel, as well as batteries, cardboard, lubricating oil, paper, street lamps, wood products and other materials.
- Where possible, we eliminate hazardous solvents or substitute with less less hazardous materials to benefit the environment and reduce employees exposure.
Our Corporate Waste Minimization Team identifies opportunities to reduce waste, helps implement plans and quantifies the effectiveness. Team members are drawn from numerous work groups to provide a broad view of FirstEnergy's day-to-day activities.
FirstEnergy also is an active participant in the U.S. EPA's WasteWise Program, which recognizes the efforts of participants for their waste minimization efforts.
Across our service territory, FirstEnergy supports efforts to protect natural habitats and resources.
Read more about:
- Green construction methods for our office buildings
- Land protection and remediation efforts
- Nationally recognized tree care practices and reforestation
- Wildlife diversity projects