Maryland’s economic growth continues to rely on twenty-first century drivers in information technology, aerospace and defense, and telecommunications. Continuing to invest in education and research, Maryland is a world leader in biotechnology research and applications associated with the mapping of the human genome.
- Population: 1.6 million in service territory
- Labor Force: 840,000
- Industry: 42,846 establishments
Within a 500-mile radius
- Two-thirds of the U.S. population and purchasing power
- 60% of the Canadian population
- 50% of U.S. Manufacturers
- 50% of U.S. domestic trade and service industries
- Long haul freight services provided by two Class I rail carriers: CSX Transportation and Norfolk Southern
- Intermodal facilities serving the Port of Baltimore connect the World to inland U.S. locations
- 2 Primary, 7 Reliever, and 10 General Aviation airports
- Port of Baltimore – serving two-thirds of the U.S. population
Electric power is provided to FirstEnergy’s Maryland service area by:
- Potomac Edison Company (Potomac Edison)
FirstEnergy’s local Economic Development Staff knows the area and businesses. Our presence here has allowed us to establish good working relationships with international, national, state and local economic development agencies and professionals. Please contact us for assistance and introductions.