FirstEnergy Lights the Way for Local Communities: Report Streetlight Outage
The glow of a streetlight serves as a “welcome” sign for towns and neighborhoods of all sizes throughout our utility service territory. And customers, like you, play an instrumental role in helping the company maintain reliable streetlight service across local communities.
“Streetlights are essential to our communities, from supporting safety and security to helping to project an image of being a thriving place that is ‘open for business’ to residents and visitors,” said Gary Grant, vice president of customer service at FirstEnergy Corp. “They also send a positive signal to customers that we’re providing the service they expect and deserve.”
Ensuring the streetlights come on each night is very important, from both a company and customer perspective, said Grant, noting that improved street lighting can help reduce crime in local neighborhoods and communities.
“We rely on our customers to contact us when they see that a light is out on their street corner or along a road because it’s a critical step in our efforts to make timely repairs,” he said.
Streetlight outages are most commonly reported in the fall months, as the days get shorter and customers can see that a light is out on their way home from work. When a customer report comes in, our utility line crews and troubleshooters are responsible for making streetlight repairs as quickly as possible.
Here are the best ways to report a streetlight outage:
- Call us at 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) and say “streetlight” after the greeting.
- Use this link to report the lighting problem online.
- When reporting an outage, let us know:
- Your name and phone number (in case we need more information).
- Address where the streetlight is located (nearest house or business address and the nearest cross street).
- Number on the utility pole.
- What is wrong with the streetlight (damaged pole; broken light fixture; light is off at night, on during the day, or flickers).