We understand the hardships still being experienced by customers whose homes and belongings were damaged by Hurricane Sandy. JCP&L remains committed to working with federal, state and local agencies in a coordinated effort to rebuild and restore your service.
To make arrangements to have your electric service restored, removed or disconnected, please contact JCP&L at 800-662-3115. A JCP&L customer service representative will create and provide you with a notification number to easily identify and track your specific work request.
Recommendations for New Construction or Rebuilding
To accommodate rebuilding efforts and provide guidance in those areas where customers may have to raise their homes up in compliance with the new FEMA standards, JCP&L wants to make customers aware of potential clearance and access issues that should be discussed in advance of rebuilding. Please click here to view these guidelines prior to new construction or rebuilding.
Guidelines for Meter Connections
To safely maintain its facilities, provide reliable service and help obtain accurate meter readings, JCP&L asks that customers provide easy and unobstructed access to its electric meters. Please click here to review meter connection guidelines for customers who are rebuilding or elevating homes located in coastal areas identified as FEMA flood zones.
If your home's electrical system was damaged and the required work has been completed, please contact your municipality to schedule an electrical inspection (an inspection is required before service can be restored). They will send confirmation of the inspection to JCP&L.
- If there is no additional work required, your meter will be set in 3-5 days.
- In cases where a new service line needs to be run to your home or other construction is required, please allow at least 7-10 working days.
If you are demolishing your house, please contact JCP&L at 800-662-3115 to arrange to have your service wire and meter removed. To ensure the safety of the workers and the community, the electric service must be retired before demolition.
If you are elevating your house, please contact JCP&L at 800-662-3115 to arrange to have your service wire and meter removed. To ensure the safety of the workers and the community the electric service must be removed prior to elevation. When construction is completed and an electrical inspection has been performed, your municipality will send the confirmation to JCP&L and your service will be restored.
Temporary Service for Construction
JCP&L can provide temporary service during reconstruction of your home. Please contact JCP&L at 800-662-3115 to arrange temporary service.
Additional Reconnection Information
Once power has been reconnected, follow these important, everyday electrical safety tips:
- Do not turn on damaged electrical appliances. Electrical parts can pose an electric shock hazard or overheat and cause a fire.
- Do not touch a circuit breaker or replace a fuse with wet hands or while standing on a wet surface.
- Use portable ground-fault circuit-interrupter (GFCI) protective devices to help prevent electrocutions and electrical shock injuries.
- Do not allow power cord connections to become wet. Do not remove or bypass the ground pin on a three-prong plug.