FirstEnergy encourages original, inventive and creative classroom projects and teacher professional development in the science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) subjects.
Educators who want to energize their STEM classrooms lessons – and learn more innovative and resourceful ways to do so -- are invited to apply for a FirstEnergy STEM Classroom Grant of up to $1,000. Applications for the 2018-2019 school year are now available.
Who can apply?
Grants are available to educators (Pre-K through grade 12) at schools, youth groups and educational program administrators in communities served by our electric operating companies, other areas where we have facilities, and where we do business.
What kinds of classroom projects are considered?
Inventive and effective classroom projects and teacher professional development initiatives in science, technology, engineering and mathematics are considered. Applications are embraced if they:
- Are well-written, complete and submitted in a timely manner
- Clearly explain how the items requested for funding are vital to the project's successful implementation and completion
- Are designed to improve, advance and enrich student or teacher learning
- Involve one-time, one-year implementation and evaluation
- Are flexible and appropriate for targeted stage of student development
- Range from formative ideas that explore learning concepts to full tested models that are ready to be adopted and disseminated
- Include secure commitments of additional support from other sources for larger projects
- Offer networking; mentoring; interdisciplinary or team-teaching; and teacher training/professional development components
- Include, but are not limited to, the study of electricity and electricity production
- Are submitted by an educator for resources specific and vital to the lesson plan described
- Are not submitted by administrators for general school and/or laboratory supplies
Grants may be used to compensate experts who come to work with students, but not to pay teachers or staff. Resources requested should be integral componentsof a well-planned classroom project/lesson plan, and vital to its success.
What is not supported by this STEM Classroom grant?
FirstEnergy Classroom STEM Grants support individual classroom projects or teacher professional development. If multiple classrooms are undertaking the same or a very similar project, only one grant per school may be awarded. The following are not supported by this grant:
- Previously funded projects
- Projects that require multiple academic years for completion
- Laboratory supplies or equipment for general school use
- Admission fees and stipends for conferences, workshops and competitions
- Media equipment (computers, printers, digital cameras, projectors, white boards, DVD players, etc.) and furniture (display and book cases, carts, etc.)
- Transportation, incentives, meals and refreshments
- Routine responsibilities of the educator submitting the proposal
Application reviews and evaluations
Applications are reviewed, evaluated and recommended by the FirstEnergy Education Advisory Council. Upon completion of the projects, recipients will be asked to provide a written summary with samples of class work. Photographs are suggested, but not required.
How do I apply?
Applications for the 2018-2019 school year are now available. Applications must be submitted by September 21, 2018 for consideration during the 2018-2019 school year.
The Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Classroom Grant application can be downloaded and completed electronically. To view and print the application form, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to download this free software.
Once you have entered all the required information:
- Print out the completed application
- Sign it
- Have your principal/administrator sign it
- Attach supporting documents
- Attach a copy of your school/organization’s Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification Form (IRS Form W-9).
- Mail to:
Community Involvement Department, FirstEnergy
76 South Main Street, Akron, OH 44308
Or fax to: 330-436-8031
Applications must be received by the FirstEnergy Community Involvement Department. For more information, please call the external affairs manager at your local FirstEnergy office or 330-384-5022.
Notification of awards
Grant recipients will be notified by Friday, October 19, 2018.